The Homes & History of Ambler, PA, are very intriguing because of their economic significance to the borough. Early settlers like William Harmer and Mary Johnson Ambler contributed to the borough’s growth through selfless efforts.
This is a summary of these Ambler pioneers and how their contributions shaped the foundation of Ambler, PA.
William Harmer and His Contribution to the Homes & History of Ambler
William Harmer was the first landlord of the 408-acre land sold by William Penn in 1716. Mr. Harmer built a grist mill on it, which later became a productive business in the area. In addition, he made stone dwellings with diamond-shaped glass and casement windows near the Morris Road and Butler Pike intersection.
William Harmer was an influential man interested in the abundance of food supply and the development of properties. He was the son of George Harmer, who came from England and migrated to America for religious freedom. William advocated the building of roads and cartways in the area. Presumably, he was a man with selfless intentions after what was suitable for the land and its residents.
Mary Ambler’s Contribution to the Homes and History of Ambler, PA
What was once known as Wissahickon Village became the Borough of Ambler thanks to Mary Ambler’s heroism.
Mary Johnson Ambler was a petite, Quaker, and civic-minded woman married to Andrew Ambler. They owned a fulling mill that produced apparel in the village.
She helped rescue victims of the Train Wreck of 1856. The incident involved the collision of the northbound and southbound trains between Camp Hill and Fort Washington stations. Both trains had 1,000 passengers, including children. When Mary heard about the incident, she gathered medical supplies, walked to the spot, and facilitated the rescue operations. She asked people to bring the victims to her house on Main Street and Tennis Avenue to be cared for.
After she passed away in 1868, the following year, Wissahickon Station changed its name to Ambler Station in honor of Mary Ambler. The village and post office adopted Ambler’s name in 1888 as well.
Ambler, PA at Present
Today, the Borough of Ambler, PA, is a center for recreation with breweries, parks, restaurants, malls, theaters, and small businesses. They also have many events, such as festivals and a farmer’s market, flocked by locals. It is 16 miles from Center City, Philadelphia, and has a population of 6.4k. The majority of the people are whites and under 18 years old.